Meet the new ONA Mizzou student leaders

President: Andrew Gibson


Andrew Gibson is a senior majoring in convergence journalism and minoring in information technology and business. He has experience with video, audio and print, but his passion is for online journalism. Analytics make him happy, but HTML makes him drool.

Born and raised in Denver, Andrew has interned at KCNC-TV in Denver and The Colorado Springs Gazette in Colorado Springs, Colo. He will work as the online intern at the Orlando Sentinel during summer 2013.

Outside of journalism, Andrew enjoys Denver Broncos football and is always hunting for the perfect latte.

Follow Andrew Gibson on Twitter


Vice President: Cole Kennedy

Spending the past five years hopping around the country, I jumped off the train and stayed in Missouri for school, though I call Massachusetts home. Up in New England, I grew up a short walk to the ocean, and I've been sailing competitively for most of my life. When winter rolls around and it's too cold to bother with the water, I enjoy snowboarding whenever and wherever the opportunity strikes.

As far as journalism goes, I've always had an interest in the media and technology, so the convergence track is a natural fit. I'm always trying to understand how people access information, as well as how the Internet changes reporting. I'm also interested in how the business side of journalism connects with the ethical responsibilities a news organization has. I think the Internet is a brilliant medium with incredible opportunity, but we're still a long way off from finding a stable model for the future of journalism - and that's why I'm getting involved with ONA.

I'm hoping our club can continue to provide excellent programming to help the MU community better understand digital media and how it changes the status quo of journalism. I'm excited to help our talented and curious student body tackle the diverse challenges the new media landscape presents!

Follow Cole Kennedy on Twitter.

Secretary: Elise Schmelzer


Hello fellow online news enthusiasts! My name is Elise Schmelzer and I'm delighted to be on ONA Mizzou's exec board this year. As I take notes, send emails and complete other secretarial tasks, I really hope to bring big ideas to the table this year. As many of you may know, the digital realm is the new home of journalism - and what a lovely vibrant home it is! I firmly believe that journalism students (and the population at large) must have a firm understanding of what the web means in the world in order to successfully compete for jobs and to excel in them once they are acquired.

I am a self-professed geek. HTML, design, SEO, you name it and I will get excited. Part of this may come from my upbringing in the tech savvy city of Austin, Texas. While Austin may be a bit different than other Texas towns, I do still say "ya'll" and love Dr. Pepper. I came to Mizzou from my lovely hometown to pursue degrees in International Print and Digital Journalism, Spanish and Portuguese. As you can tell, I am deeply entranced with hispanic culture and someday hope to work as a journalist in Central or South America. Aside from the Spanish language, I love horseback riding, hiking, Pablo Neruda and visiting zoos.

In the near future I'll be working with the Religious Newswriters Association to build their new resource site for journalists, working at the Columbia Missourian and helping ONA reach out to more students and provide them with the knowledge and skills they need.

Follow Elise Schmelzer on Twitter.

Treasurer: Hannah Schmidt

Hello, everyone! I'm very excited to serve as ONA Mizzou's treasurer for the 2013-2014 school year. I look forward to working with my fellow ONA Mizzou members to help our club grow. 

I'm a convergence journalism major with a minor in political science. I have always loved to read and tell stories, and this passion led me to the Missouri School of Journalism. I've learned a lot through my studies, and currently volunteer as a writer and editor at Newsy. I look forward to using the skills I've gained at my internship in London this summer.  

I'm also the social media coordinator for Mizzou's 3D Printing Club! I post recent news and innovations in 3D printing along with objects designed by Mizzou students. I've really enjoyed learning more about this growing technology and helping to share it with others. 

When I am not in the Futures Lab, which isn't all that often, I love to read, listen to music, go to the gym, and watch TV. My favorite shows include "The West Wing," "Doctor Who," and "Gilmore Girls." I'm also a huge sports nut and love to cheer on the St. Louis Blues and Cardinals. 

Follow Hannah Schmidt on Twitter.

Social Media Coordinator: Bridgit Bowden

Hi, everyone! I’m Bridgit and I’ll be serving as the Social Media Coordinator for ONA Mizzou this year.  I’m really excited to take on a leadership role in this great organization. 

I’m currently a Mizzou junior studying Convergence Journalism with an emphasis in Radio Reporting and Producing.  I have interned at Nashville Public Radio in my hometown and KBIA News here in Columbia.  This summer I'll be working as a production intern at the Religion News Service parter site, Columbia FAVs.  I’m interested in bringing multimedia, social media, and digital content to public radio and television stations to make the public media system more sustainable for future audiences. 
When I’m not journalism-ing you can find me at the Rec center teaching Zumba fitness classes.  In my free time, I enjoy reading dystopian novels, learning new styles of dance, and traveling through Central America. 

Follow Bridgit Bowden on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment