Meet the new ONA Mizzou student leaders

President: Erin Dismeier 

Hello everyone! I'm thrilled to be the new ONA Mizzou president.  I'm a junior from Chicago in the convergence journalism sequence. I also have minors in film studies and business.  I've chosen to focus on radio reporting and newsroom management in the coming year.

This summer, I will be interning in the news department at WGN Radio in Chicago, as well as writing for Foodmafia.  Along with these two journalistic pastimes, I will be working as a quality reviewer for Millennium Information Services in Itasca, Ill., and waitressing in Lake Geneva, Wis.

Fun facts for your reading pleasure: I love boating, country music, "Boondock Saints" and the Chicago Cubs.

Follow Erin Dismeier on Twitter

Vice President: Dalton Barker
Raised in Peoria, Ill., you could describe my childhood as a balance between sports and sleep. I’m still working on the latter. I was lured to MU after working for my high school newspaper and after my mother convinced me lawyers were, in her words, "a dime a dozen.” I enjoy participating in an "MIZ-ZOU" chant at sporting events, and I like traveling and accepting free food whenever it presents itself.

I have a passion for journalism and look forward to expanding ONA at MU and throughout the country. A convergence journalism major by trade, I am intrigued by the proliferation of online-centric news and how to serve and engage the public. In my opinion, discussion is necessary to bring out the best in people and ideas, so I hope to conjure up some interesting tidbits for readers to dissect and debate.

I’ll leave you with words from Charles Dickens that everyone should live by: "When a man bleeds inwardly, it is a dangerous thing for himself; but when he laughs inwardly, it bodes no good to other people."

Follow Dalton Barker on Twitter

Secretary: Laura Davison

Hello current and potential ONA members! I’m Laura Davison, ONA Mizzou secretary for the 2012-13 school year. I’m excited to have this opportunity to work with all of you and to help ONA Mizzou grow this coming year.

I’m a junior from Shawnee, Kan. I escaped my home state to come to MU to study convergence journalism and Spanish, and I've spent this semester studying at the University of Navarra in Pamplona, Spain. It’s been a great semester of honing writing and designing skills, learning about Europe’s media landscape, and practicing two foreign languages (Spanish and HTML). 

When I’m not j-schooling — an all-inclusive term I use to refer to reporting, editing, sitting in the Futures Lab, reading journalism-related emails, etc. — I enjoy running, baking, watching "Mad Men" and planning vacations for when my journalism career makes me fabulously wealthy.

Although my getting wealthy might be a pipe dream, this executive board has some big, but attainable, goals. We're looking to increase involvement in ONA Mizzou from all areas of the J-school, and we want to explore new tools and topics.

Do you have thoughts on how to make ONA Mizzou better? Let us know. That’s why we’re here.

Follow Laura Davison on Twitter

Social Media Coordinator: Andrew Gibson

Are you ready for another semester of ONA Mizzou tweets? I sure hope so.

I'm Andrew Gibson, and I'll be returning in the fall semester as the club's social media coordinator. In the past year, the outgoing leaders and I worked to turn ONA Mizzou's Twitter and Facebook feeds into sources of useful digital-journalism information. The goal for the coming year is to build on this mission. My fellow leaders and I will continue to push out links and resources related to online news, and we'll work to make you want to keep clicking.

This summer, I'll be a business-reporting and multimedia intern at The Gazette in Colorado Springs, Colo. I hope to work in my hometown of Denver when I graduate. But for now, I'm looking forward to my two remaining years at the Missouri School of Journalism.

If you find a link related to digital journalism you think our followers would be interested in seeing, send it to the @ONAMizzou Twitter account. Social media isn't social without interaction.

Happy almost summer to everyone. We look forward to seeing you at our fall events.

Follow Andrew Gibson on Twitter

Treasurer: Stacey Welsh

Hi y'all! I am so excited to serve as the new treasurer for ONA Mizzou! I am a senior broadcast journalism major, but I've always been connected to online content. I currently work as a reporter and anchor for television station KOMU. I also work as a paid Web editor for KOMU.com, meaning I post stories and update the station's Facebook and Twitter pages.

As a Spanish minor, I had an amazing opportunity to put my skills to the test through studying in Buenos Aires, Argentina, during summer 2011. I worked with a documentary producer for the organization Asociación Madres de Plaza de Mayo. I also contributed content on environmental topics for an Artemisa Noticias blog. It's an online news magazine based in Buenos Aires.

When I'm not hauling a large video-camera case around Columbia, Mo., I also work as a swim instructor at the Mizzou Student Recreation Complex. I grew up swimming competitively and running track in my hometown of Frisco, Texas.

I also post my thoughts on journalism and life in general on a blog called "Welshful Thinking" (clever title, right?!).

Follow Stacey Welsh on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment