Why ONA Mizzou


By ONA Mizzou Executive Board

Each year, ONA Mizzou elects new members to its executive board, and this year, all six executive board members are graduating seniors, which means we are looking for six fresh faces to lead the organization.

On Thursday, April 14 at 6 p.m. in Middlebush 13 we will elect a new executive board, and we encourage anyone interested to submit an application.

ONA Mizzou is a student club, but it means so much more than that to each of our executive board members. All six of us have served on the board for the past two years. During that time, we have held digital workshops on everything from FOIA requests to drone journalism to digital portfolios, and this spring we brought storyteller Jessica Abel to campus.

ONA Mizzou means something different to each of us, but all of us have developed our digital journalism skill set and interests through the organization. Here's what our current executive board had to say about their role on the executive board and about what they gained from the experience:


Sarah Darby, President

I joined ONA Mizzou after attending a hands-on Google Fusion Tables workshop. I expected to gain digital skills, but I ended up with so much more. My involvement with ONA Mizzou is the first thing that comes up in job interviews, and I've met incredible speakers and ONA members through the organization. I've built valuable social media and event planning experience, and I've learned how to get others excited about the future of journalism. Most importantly, ONA Mizzou has been so much fun, and I've met great friends through the organization.


Emerald O'Brien, Vice President 

The best part of ONA Mizzou for me is really kind of selfish. It has given me the chance to take charge of my own education. If my classes aren't teaching me the skills and lessons that I want, if the speakers that come to Mizzou aren't as applicable to my career as I want them to be, at ONA Mizzou I've had the opportunity to decide what I want to see and make it happen. Being part of an organization like this is great because I've not only learned digital skills across the board, but I've been able to influence the opportunities that are provided on our campus to represent my interests. It's given me the resources and support to make learning opportunities for myself and all of my classmates. 

Madison Feller, Treasurer


ONA Mizzou has introduced me to a whole new group of people who are passionate, forward thinking and innovative when it comes to digital media. Not only have I been able to learn new skills myself, but I've been able to watch other students learn invaluable tools that will help them in their future. It's been the best experience to know that I've contributed.

Ryan Levi, Social Media Coordinator

I've gained an incredible amount of practical experience managing ONA Mizzou's social media accounts for the past two years. I've learned how to coordinate social media for an organization with a large following, market events on social media, live tweet, write strong copy Twitter and Facebook and post to Facebook and Twitter at optimal times. These are all skills I can take with me into my post-graduate job search. Plus, I've learned more about digital media and the journalism industry than I could ever have imagined.


Kara Tabor, Membership Development Chair

Aside from journalism, two of my other passions are teaching and mentorship. In a roundabout sort of way, being a part of the ONA Mizzou exec board these past two years has helped me plan events and connect with other students in ways that aren't too different from being an educator. Working behind the scenes to brainstorm event ideas, design promotional materials and connect with students have been highlights of my position.

Maria Davison, Secretary

ONA Mizzou is an incredible experience for students interested in any aspect of journalism or media. I learned new skills and ideas in the world of digital media, but I also got to choose what areas within digital media I wanted to know more about, and I was able to help direct that. On top of all that, I was able to help with event planning from its beginning all the way through wrap up, which is a skill I'll take with me to whatever job I get next.

No comments:

Post a Comment